Wednesday 28 October 2009

The Kelly Report

If what we hear is true, I am delighted that Sir Christopher Kelly, the man tasked with overhauling the MP's expenses system, has said that claims for mortgage payments for second homes shoud be banned. This is something that is clearly way beyond the public interest and should never have been sanctioned by the fees office in the first place. I'm also glad that there is going to be a wider zone outsidde London where second homes allowance cannot be claimed. This will include Spelthorne if reports are accurate. I have been critical in the past of David Wilshire claiming this allowance, and have publicly stated that I would not claim it myself. So to see the boundaries moved to a more sensible distance is welcome. Lib Dem MP's who were able to claim and were close to Spelthorne, like Vince Cable in Twickenham, have not previously claimed. Now those who felt they were entitled to extra cannot get at the extra cash. Good.

No comments: