Sunday 21 February 2010

Blast From The Past

I have had a friend request on Facebook today from Neil, who was my old group leader when I became a councillor seven years ago. Neil was one of the two people who interviewed me as a council candidate after I called the party to offer my services. With great insight (!) Neil was enthusiastic about my application, and 4 months later I had been elected in a ward in which I was supposed to be the token opposition. From that day he, like a few others, took me under his wing and taught me a great deal about local politics. He showed me how to really get things done, particularly dealing with local councils, and showed me how to get through the beauraucratic maze. I went on to chair the councils scrutiny committee, and I ended up on the shadow executive that helped to create a brand new unitary authority (when Borough and County councils are joined together). Having the ability and experience to tackle these huge jobs was in good part down to Neil and his support. It is good to hear Neil and Amy have retired to Norfolk, and hopefully they have a bit more time now to relax and enjoy it! I owe Neil a great deal, so hopefully I can catch up with him after the election.

No comments: