Wednesday 10 February 2010

Shortwood Infant School

Surrey County Council have announced potential plans to close Shortwood School. There were two public meetings at the school today, and I went along to the second one this evening. I don't think I have seen many more passionate defences of a community facility than I heard from local people tonight. Whilst the school has low numbers of pupils, it was clear that parents think the school is fantastic, as do the ex pupils, ex teachers and other local residents who had their say. The overwhelming feeling is that they have not had the support, publicity or understanding of the County Council, and that many people only heard about the school by word of mouth. Many also feel that long standing rumours of closure have put people off making the school their 1st preference. Talking afterwards to the acting head, and other campaigners, it was clear that they will defend the school and fight closure all the way. The community love this school and value it dearly. Councils have a tough job balancing needs and budgets, but their own figures show, to my mind, that short term desire to close the school will cause real problems in the near future, over and above the hardship some parents will face now if the school closes. After tonight they have my wholehearted support.

4 comments:

lucy walton said...

My daughter is in reception at shortwood and as the parents commitee we will fight tooth and nail to save our wonderful school. It is very encouraging to us to have your support and if you have any ideas to help our campaign please get in touch with me lucy588@btinternet.com

Laura Bunting said...

Mark - your support is genuinely appreciated by myself as a parent. I am so glad that you were there to hear, see and feel the passion that we have for the school and while I can understand the Council's difficulty in balancing budgets etc, I absolutely feel that this is very shortsighted in light of the figures provided by their own website. Thanks again for your support!

Laura said...

Mark - Thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated. I am glad that you were there to hear, see and feel the passion with which the parents and community defended this school. In light of the fact that demand for reception places lag behind the birth rate by 4/5 years, it is indeed short-sighted of the counil to even be considering this closure.

Jo said...

Mark thank you very much for you support it is truly appreciated.I think the councillors were surprised at the turnout a passion felt.We have set up a shortwood blog and would appreciate if you are able to link yours to ours.I have had an email from Kwasi Kwarteng stating that Denise Saliagopoulous was struck by the fervour and enthusiasm about the meeting and that thankfully they are both fully committed to finding a way to keep the school open.