Thursday 25 March 2010

Social Housing

I had a good chat today with a resident who is having real difficulties with the local housing association. Having had six years experience as a district councillor, I am only too aware of the problems that can come from housing associations being remote, aloof and arrogant. The mechanisms that councillors have to hold them to account are weak. I would really like to see a better system in place for elected councillors to ensure good housing is delivered in their local area. When the stock was sold by many councils in the nineties, everyone hoped that this would improve things for local people. That simply isn't what they are saying to me. They want their MP to react to this issue and intercede on their behalf. As their MP I would do just that.

No comments: