Tuesday 6 April 2010

And Away We Go

Finally we have an official date for the General Election on May 6th. Although the starting gun has been fired, some of us have been campaigning for a long time for this. I was selected 2 years ago, and have been campaigning here solidly since. Some of my opponents have been here rather less time, as in those 2 years I have seen the Tory MP step down due to the expenses scandal, and the Labour candidate simply disappear. Their replacements have barely had a sniff of what has been going on in Spelthorne and have had a lot of catching up to do. In terms of the big policy themes, we have been clear that we want fairer taxes, putting £700 in the pocket of the average worker. We want a fair start for children, investing in early years education. We want a sustainable economy, built on solid foundations and with the future of environment at its heart. We want to clean up politics, and reform the system from top to bottom. Politicians must be more accountable to the people. Over the next 30 days I will be taking this message with my colleagues across Spelthorne. I have campaigned in every corner of the constituency, and found support wherever I have been. So off we go, into the heat of a General Election campaign, with a great message and huge optimism about our chances of a fantastic result!

No comments: